Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Canadian soprano Adrianne Pieczonka sings MET Broadcast


The upcoming HD broadcast of the MET's Simon Boccanegra is being eagerly anticipated by the opera world as Placido Domingo takes on the baritone role of Boccanegra. Not alone on stage, Domingo will be joined by Canadian soprano Adrianne Pieczonka in the role of Amelia as well as Marcello Giordani, and James Morris with James Levine in the pit.

In a recent interview, Pieczonka talks about the character of Amelia:

...I'm finding the role very satisfying. In fact, to me, Amelia is almost more satisfying than Desdemona and Elisabetta. She's strong, and featured a lot throughout the opera. Unlike Desdemona, who is only featured in isolated scenes, Amelia has a much bigger presence: she's a strong character in a politically charged story, she stands up for her man, and she risks compromising her relationship with her newly-found father. It's a tragic story since her father dies at the end, so she gains a husband, but loses her father, and I really get quite caught up in all the emotion of the opera. The gorgeous costumes are rich and opulent and I feel beautiful wearing them. The sets are lovely. In fact the entire production is beautiful, and everyone loves it. I'm very excited to be a part of it.

Check out your local theatre listings...apparently its sold out in large cities across the world BUT I know I'll get a ticket in small town Belleville! Come join me on Saturday at 1pm for the broadcast!

No comments:

From the voice of....